- Departments I through Z
- New Castle Creek Bridge
- The Preferred Alternative
The Preferred Alternative
The Preferred Alternative extends Main Street over a new Castle Creek Bridge and under a land bridge that meets the existing Highway 82 near the roundabout.
- Two general-use lanes and two exclusive bus lanes that can accommodate light rail or trackless trams in the future.
- A bridge over Castle Creek along the new alignment.
- Increased transit capacity while decreasing transit time with continuous bus lanes from the roundabout to downtown.
- The highway across the 82-acre Marolt-Thomas properties covers 5.4 acres, and 2.5 acres are gained from the land bridge and decommissioned Highway 82 between the roundabout and Cemetery Lane.
- The existing Castle Creek Bridge remains in use as a local connection to the Cemetery Lane neighborhood and McLain Flats.
- What is the Preferred Alternative?
- Why was the Preferred Alternative chosen?
- What was the process for developing the 43 different alignment and lane configuration alternatives?
- What challenges won’t the Preferred Alternative solve?
- What travel modes were reviewed before the Preferred Alternative was selected?
- Did the community vote to approve the Preferred Alternative?
- Will there need to be another vote to move forward with the Preferred Alternative?
- How long will it take to construct the Preferred Alternative, including a new bridge, land bridge(s), and new road?
- What elements of the Record of Decision have been implemented?
- What portions of the Record of Decision (ROD) are still outstanding?
- Does the City of Aspen need to acquire a right of way through Marolt and Thomas properties to build the Preferred Alternative?
- Why are CDOT and the FHWA involved?
- I really like one of the other alternatives. Why can't I have one of those?
- What was the process of choosing the Preferred Alternative (PA) that is described in the 1998 Record of Decision (ROD)?
- Can the Preferred Alternative be modified?
- Are any properties impacted by the Preferred Alternative?
- What is the process for acquiring properties and is this included in the project cost?
- Does there need to be another vote to change the Marolt-Thomas right of way usage to buses per the first phase of the Preferred Alternative? If so, who gets to participate in the vote?
- When would a vote for this project occur?
- What will happen to the 8th Street bus stop?