The type of contractor licenses or registrations you need depend on your roles and responsibilities on a project. Contractor Licenses issued by the City of Aspen Building Department are valid in both in the City of Aspen and Pitkin County. These are issued separately from your Business License, both of which are required.
What type of Contractor License do I need? Click Here to Read Descriptions
What do I need to apply for/renew my Contractor License?
1. Completed Affidavit of Insurance - Click Here to Open the Form
- Every contractor must maintain at all times, employee and public liability insurance with a minimum limit of not less than $500,000 for one person and $1,000,000 for any one accident, and property damage insurance with a minimum limit of not less than $300,000 for any one accident.
- If this insurance expires, the contractor license is null and void.
The City of Aspen no longer accepts certificates of insurance, please submit the correct notarized affidavit listed above.
2. Picture Identification (e.g. driver’s license).
3. Photocopy of both sides of the proper certification for your license.
- CLICK HERE for certification requirements for types of Contractor Licenses.
- The City of Aspen offers online BEST testing only for contractors working within the City of Aspen or Pitkin County. For more information CLICK HERE
How do I Apply for a New Contractor License?
Start by registering in the system HERE. Please allow two business days to have your account set up.
- If you already registered, click here to login.
If you don’t receive the email or have any issues logging into the system, please
contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 970.920.5065
Next, follow the instructions to register your certification by clicking here.
Then, you can start your Contractor License application by following the instructions here.
How do I Renew my Contractor License?
If you have never received a Contractor License from our new permitting system, please start a new application. See instructions above.
If you have a Contractor License issued from our current permitting system (prior to 7/24/2018), click here for instructions.
What Happens Next?
Contractor licenses are processed within 2 business days. Once your license application is approved, you will receive an email notification to make a payment (if needed).
What If I'm an Owner wanting to build/remodel my house?
Homeowners that are undertaking their own contractor work are exempt from the licensing process, but they still must adhere to the Homeowner/Builder Requirements.
What if I'm working on a Historic Property?
All contractors working on a historic preservation project within the City of Aspen must have an active Historic Preservation Certification.
All contractors must have an active BEST card prior to scheduling the Historic Preservation Certification test. You can find more information click HERE or call 970.920.5090.