Prior to starting your License Application, at least one of the contractors on site of the project must hold a relevant certification as detailed in our license and certification requirements (PDF).
If you do not hold a proper certification you are required to take a B.E.S.T. Test to obtain a B.E.S.T. Card Certification.
Board of Examiners for Standardized Testing (B.E.S.T.) is a program that tests contractors on their knowledge of International Code Council (ICC) codes. Upon passing, the B.E.S.T. card will be accepted throughout the Roaring Fork Valley and nearby towns along the I-70 corridor
B.E.S.T. cards are a certification attached to the individual contractor that took the test. They are different from contractor licenses and business licenses. When a B.E.S.T. cardholder leaves a company, the card goes with them
Who is Required to have a B.E.S.T. Card?
- All licensed general contractors must have a B.E.S.T. Card or ICC Certification.
- Specialty contractors must have a B.E.S.T. Card specific to their trade.
- Job supervisors working onsite in Aspen and Pitkin County.
B.E.S.T. Testing Online
The City of Aspen offers B.E.S.T. testing online for contractors that work in Pitkin County. A City of Aspen Permit Portal account is required. If you already have access to Salesforce, you do not need to register again, but you do need to submit an application through Salesforce for the test. All tests are cover the 2015 ICC Codes.
Prepare for the B.E.S.T. Test
B.E.S.T. tests are open-book tests composed of randomly selected true/false and multiple choice questions. An online copy of the books can be found on our Building Codes Page, otherwise, you will need to acquire your own physical copy of the book.
The Historic Preservation B.E.S.T. Test is based on specific study materials and is also an open-book test.
Spanish B.E.S.T. test and Spanish Code Books Available
International Residential Code (IRC) and International Building Code (IBC) books are available in Spanish through Community Development at no cost. Spanish versions of the books are available to loan for those studying for the B.E.S.T. test.
B.E.S.T Testing Fee Schedule
|Type of Test
|Low Voltage (PitCo only)
Schedule a B.E.S.T Test
- Log in to your City of Aspen Permit Portal account and start a Certification Application.
- After your application is submitted, staff will review it and contact you within two business days to for payment of testing fees and to schedule your test.
- You will receive a link to the B.E.S.T. test via email at 9:00am on the weekday you chose.
- Email staff to notify them that you completed the test and they will score it.
- If you pass, a new B.E.S.T. Card will be mailed to you within three business days. In the meantime, you will receive a digital copy of your card.
Other local jurisdictions that provide testing and issue B.E.S.T. Cards include:
Start by logging in or creating your City of Aspen Permit Portal. If you're registering please allow two business days to have your account set up.
Then identify the type of license you'll require to match the scope of work referencing our Contractor License Descriptions (PDF).
Next, you can start your Contractor License application by following the referenced instructions here.
You must submit all three (3) required documents to your Contractor License application in the City of Aspen Permit Portal.
- Every contractor must maintain at all times, employee and public liability insurance with a minimum limit of not less than $500,000 for one person and $1,000,000 for any one accident, and property damage insurance with a minimum limit of not less than $300,000 for any one accident.
- The City of Aspen no longer accepts certificates of insurance, please submit the correct notarized affidavit listed above.
2. Picture Identification of individual named on the uploaded certification (e.g. driver’s license).
3. Photocopy of both sides of at least one certification listed.
Prior to renewing your Contractor License please identify one of the following:
If you have a Contractor License issued from our current permitting system (since 7/24/2018), please follow our License Renewal Instructions (PDF).
If you have never received a Contractor License from our new permitting system, please start a new License Application. Follow the steps listed above under Start Your License Application tab.
Contractor licenses are processed within 2 business days. Once your license application is approved, you will receive an email notification to make a payment (if needed).
What if I'm an Owner wanting to build/remodel my house?
Homeowners that are undertaking their own contractor work are exempt from the licensing process, but they still must adhere to the Homeowner/Builder Requirements.
What if I'm working on a Historic Property?
All contractors working on a historic preservation project within the City of Aspen must have an active Historic Preservation Certification.
All contractors must have an active General Contractor B.E.S.T. card prior to scheduling the Historic Preservation Certification test.
Specialty Contractor Resources
Solar/Photo Voltaic Contractors: PV System Installation & Solar Contractors Guidelines PDF