What do I need to keep on file when I make a sale to one of these entities?

For charitable organizations, the Colorado's Department of Revenue issues a "Certificate of Exemption" that authorizes it to purchase items and services used in the conduct of their regular charitable functions and activities without paying Colorado sales tax. This is sufficient documentation for the City of Aspen. 

For governmental entities, some will have a Colorado issued tax exemption number, although they are not required to have one (tax exemption numbers begin with a "98"). In order for a governmental entity to take advantage of the tax exemption, the purchase must be made with a prescribed government form or purchase order, and paid directly by funds from the governmental entity. A credit card in the name of the exempt entity is acceptable. Some local governments issue credit cards in both the employee's name and agency's name. In many instances the bill is paid directly by the governmental entity and are tax exempt. It is not necessary for governmental entities to present a tax exemption number in order to make a tax exempt purchase. 

A purchase by a governmental agent who is making the purchase out of personal funds, even if the employee presents a tax exemption number and plans to be reimbursed, is not tax exempt. 

In cases where the seller invoices on a delayed basis for a purchase, the billing must be made directly to the governmental entity and not the person making the purchase.

Show All Answers

1. Is Aspen a home rule city?
2. What is the purpose of the vendor’s fee deduction?
3. When preparing my sales tax return, what supporting documents for my deductions should I retain?
4. I over collected sales tax on several transactions. How do I account for this excess tax on my return?
5. Should sales tax be collected on transactions for deliveries to customers in Aspen city limits?
6. I am a subcontractor working on a project within Aspen city limits. Do I need to charge sales (or use) tax on construction materials purchased for the project by the general contractor?
7. What do I do if a purchaser insists they are exempt from tax but cannot produce the appropriate documentation?
8. Will I ever get audited?
9. Are direct sales to charitable organizations exempt from sales and lodging tax?
10. Are direct sales to governmental entities exempt from sales and lodging tax?
11. What do I need to keep on file when I make a sale to one of these entities?
12. How do I obtain a wholesale license for the State of Colorado?
13. If my business is service oriented, would I ever need to collect sales tax?
14. When would I deduct bad debts or returned goods on my sales tax return?
15. I rent out my home but only on a long term basis. Do I need to collect sales tax?