Obtain Land Use Approvals

Before you make detailed plans to build or remodel, be sure the development you are proposing is allowed (in the case of new development on a parcel) or that the changes you are proposing for an existing developed site are allowed.

Land use is governed by the Land Use Code, and the Planner of the Day at 970-429-2764 can help you understand whether you need additional land use approvals prior to starting your project.

You can also find additional information on our Get Approval to Develop Page.


Examples of actions that need land use approvals include:

  • Conditional uses
  • Lot line adjustments.
  • Lot splits
  • PUDs
  • SPAs
  • Subdivision plats
  • Variances

To learn more, visit our Determine if you need a Land Use Approval page.

Submit Your Application

To submit an application for a building permit, you must also provide evidence of your compliance with certain City planning and zoning regulations. When you apply for a building permit, bring the following land-use related documents with you to avoid delays, if they are applicable in your situation:

  • A signed copy of the Land Use Documentation Form. This is required before you can submit any application for a building permit, and verifies that you have the land use entitlements necessary to undertake your project.
  • A signed copy of the Zoning Compliance Verification Policy (PDF). This document is required for all commercial, multi-family, lodging or mixed-use building projects proposed to be within one foot of the maximum permissible height or within one foot of allowed setbacks.
  • A signed copy of the Homeowner Association (HOA) Compliance Policy (PDF) if your proposed is subject to the terms of an HOA.