Create a safe, year-round connection that serves as the preferred route between the Highway 82 roundabout and the Aspen Recreation Center. The new paved trail will follow Maroon Creek Road using the right-of-way.
A consulting team that includes Otak (civil engineering), Connect One Design (landscape architecture), City of Aspen Engineering, City of Aspen Open Space and Trails, and City of Aspen Parks and Recreation has been assembled with a shared mission of creating a safe, year-round bike and pedestrian connection between the Highway 82 roundabout, Aspen Recreation Center (ARC) and Aspen Highlands.
Currently the connection between the roundabout and ARC is a mixture of trail, sidewalk, and roadway. While functional, the connection lacks clarity and does not provide a dependable, year-round snow-free route.
New trail features
- Paved surface, maintained year round
- 10’ width to accommodate a variety of users
- Meets ADA accessible guidelines, including a maximum 5% grade where practical
- Minimizes access crossing and ensures separation from Maroon Creek roadway where possible
Phase 1 - November 2021-August 2022
- Trail Layout Alternatives
- Opinion of Probable Cost
- Community Outreach
Phase 2 - September 2022-January 2023
- Design Development
- Construction Documents
Phase 3 - Summer 2023