Existing conditions frequently lead to street flooding in the area after the snow melts and rain events, creating unsafe driving conditions, inhibited pedestrian travel and potential residential flooding. Following resident input, the Smuggler Hunter Master Drainage Plan, the Bike and Ped Master Plan, and council direction, this project will alleviate the drainage issues and create safer conditions for all users while minimizing the need for construction later.
- Drainage improvements including curb & gutter and new inlets
- Safety improvements for pedestrians and motorists
- Traffic calming
- New 4’ sidewalk mountable by fire trucks for emergency access
- Configuration retains street parking and minimizes tree removal
Timeline: April 10 - June 2019
Work Activities: Milling and demo of portions of existing roadway, tree removal and relocation, utility work, trenching activities, sawcutting, asphalt placement, concrete pours, road striping, revegetation.
- Work hours are generally Mondays-Fridays, 7:30 AM-5:30 PM and Saturdays, 9 AM-5 PM (as needed). Construction will begin on the west side of King Street and move east.
- Schedule and work activities are weather dependent and subject to change.
- During asphalt removal, the east entrance to King Street will be closed and motorists will access the road via the west entrance (from Gibson Ave or Hopkins Ave to Park Ave).
- Limited driveway closures will be required for concrete tie-ins and will be communicated to individual residences as needed.
- Street paving operations are anticipated to require one full day closure to motorists to allow for adequate curing time. This date will be announced via email and door flyer.
- Street parking will be closed for durations throughout the project. Follow signage. Limited overflow parking will be available at the Proctor Open Space lot on Queen St. Permits for this lot will be provided by City of Aspen.
Cost & Funding: $425k from Engineering Planned Projects/General Fund Budget
3/25: Construction scheduled to begin on Wednesday, April 10. Weather permitting.